Sunday, March 01, 2020

what's on the menu for the next few days

While I'm not exactly disaster-prepping, I have bought enough food to last me a few days. So what's on the menu?

1. choucroute alsacienne: I've got some kielbasa, ham, and bacon, plus beer, cabbage, and potatoes, along with the other ingredients that make this dish a hit.

2. pulled-pork quesadillas: I bought flour tortillas (no more keto flatbread!!); I already have the remains of my pulled pork, plus I've got shredded cheese and a bottle of sliced jalapeños. The tortillas and the BBQ sauce keep this from being keto.

3. gumbo: I still have two kilos of gumbo. Since I'll be eating this by myself, I won't be including rice as part of the meal. I have more frozen andouille that I can cut up, plus more jumbo shrimp in the freezer, so we're good.

4. seafood in cream sauce: my velouté-ish sauce is a 5:2 ratio of heavy cream to white wine, plus a goodly pile of shredded Gruyère cheese, some salt and pepper to taste, and maybe a bit of cayenne just to provide a bit of an accent. Aside from that, the seafood can be anything from whitefish to shrimp to scallops to any combination of sea critters. All I have is tilapia right now; I might jazz that up by buying a frozen-seafood mix.

5. chili: I've got ground beef, but I need to go out and buy beans (sorry, Texas), passata di pomodoro (tomato purée), and some avocados for a side of guacamole. (I already have sour cream.) No worries: thanks to my unpaid leave, I have plenty of time to go shopping.

I had thought about making pulled-pork sliders, which would have meant turning part of my cabbage into slaw, but I decided that I didn't have enough pulled pork to justify making sliders. Besides, I'd have had to go out and buy slider buns, which is a pain.

I had also thought about trying my hand at Bananas Foster (decidedly un-keto, I know), but when I went downstairs to check out the rum selection in my building's basement grocery, the only two kinds of rum available were a super-expensive bottle ($90) and an el-cheapo "light" rum. No Bacardi anywhere, and I can't be arsed to go out and find any. So the Bananas Foster will have to wait for another time.



No comments: