Sunday, June 20, 2021

the new addition

I went into the office today to start making up lost hours and to get ahead on our next project. After a couple hours there, I left to go on a major errand: the purchasing of a stand mixer, something I've been wanting since forever. The B&C Market was selling both KitchenAid and Kenwood versions—both companies are good, but for us Yanks (Kenwood is a British company), KitchenAid is the gold standard. So I went with KitchenAid, which was also the more expensive option. Behold:

I'm pretty much out of counter space, so I'm not sure where I'm going to put the mixer, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I also bought a new printer this weekend, but I'm kind of regretting that purchase because it belatedly occurred to me I could have spent less money just getting my current printer repaired. I haven't thrown away the old printer, so my desk is now more crowded than ever. I might still get the old printer repaired, in which case the new printer might go to my office. Whether we're talking printers or stand mixers, space is at a premium right now, and I'm kind of wishing I had the money to move into a bigger apartment. But that's not going to happen for a while, if ever. My Korean relatives all live in apartments and seem fine with that arrangement; I suppose I could get used to that, but after seeing what life is like in the riverlands, I feel as if I'd like to move into a house out by a riverside eventually. That's a question for the far future, though, when I'm old and gray. For now, I hear my buddy Tom's voice in my head: "If you live in Seoul, you go from living in a box to living in a bigger box." How true.

ADDENDUM: forgot to mention that I'm eventually going to buy a grinder attachment and start making my own sausage. My boss has a friend who makes sausage; I tried some of it and thought it wasn't bad, but it was supposed to be Italian sausage, which means you need to add fennel seeds for that distinctive Italian-sausage taste. (By the same token, sage is what makes an American breakfast sausage.) The sausage was missing the fennel seeds, so it was kind of bland and boring. When I finally make my own sausage, I won't make that mistake.



No comments: