Saturday, August 12, 2023

sudden update

I didn't think I'd have to write an update, but here we are. Long story short, I took a fall in the darkness just as I was reaching Ipo Dam (about halfway along the way), and I got a little scraped up. I looks dramatic, but most of the blood will wash off easily enough, and I've got plenty of bandages, not to mention leftover antibiotics and ointment back at my place. 

Alas, the phone got damaged pretty badly, to the point where I may have to buy a new phone if this one can't be repaired. The screen is acting wonky, and battery power is draining fast, so I'm going to do the rest of the walk with the phone off, except to take a few pics after sunrise, during the trek's final kilometers. So yes, I'm of course finishing the walk. Here are some maybe-not-so-clear pics of the injuries to my right hand (the back of the hand got it bad when I tried to protect the phone) and left knee. They look worse than they are.

I turned my palm up while falling as a way to protect the phone. Didn't work.

My final two fingers really got it. And see how sweaty I am.

thumb with three different wounds

The black spot on the thumb seems to be some gravel that got under the skin.
 
Damaged knee, but the patella didn't slide anywhere. Still hurts.

4 comments:

John Mac said...

Ouch! Glad it is not worse. Was this a slip or a trip? Not that it matters, I suppose. I've wondered about your nighttime excursions, something I'd never consider here. But you have well-paved paths and, I assume, decent lighting out there, so it's a different world. You can fall down in broad daylight, too, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It's good you were able to continue the walk. Here's hoping your phone can be healed.

Kevin Kim said...

It was a trip. I was readying myself to take a pic of the dam as I moved alongside it when the trip happened. It was a raised edge of asphalt about half the size of a curb, and despite the presence of electric lighting, the "curblet" was in complete shadow. I never saw it. Funny thing is, I've never tripped there before despite passing that way in the dark several times.

Charles said...

Glad it wasn't anything worse. Phones can be replaced, as annoying as that might be.

Kevin Kim said...

C,

Indeed. It's just a thing.