Friday, June 30, 2006

blogospheric eulogies for Acidman

I never really read Acidman (a.k.a. Rob Smith, the writer of Gut Rumbles), but he seems to have moved a lot of people with his life and, recently, his sudden death at age 54.

Rob's family has invited far-flung bloggers to participate in Rob's memorial service by writing thoughts about him online. My buddy Mike offers his thoughts here; Skippy of Enjoy Every Sandwich does so here.

I didn't take my first good look at Gut Rumbles until I saw news of Mr. Smith's death a couple days ago via Naked Villainy, at which point I took the time to read some of his most recent blog entries and a bit of his older material. Funny, acerbic writer. I can see why people are gonna miss him. His tribute to women's nipples (which I'd link to if I could find it, but the blog's search window has been removed) is good for a knowing laugh, even as he makes fun of his ex-wives.

RIP, dude.





UPDATE: Justin emails:

I can't believe you weren't a regular reader of Acidman! He started a Carnival of the Crappers featuring shit-related posts right around the time we should have been doing the same thing. He also proclaimed himself the King of the Crapbloggers. When his archives go back up, I'm sure you'd enjoy a lot of his writing - some of it was touchingly honest and down to earth.


_

1 comment:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I just went there and left a message in memory of a man whose blog I only read a couple of times but never forgot.

Thanks for the notice.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *