Wednesday, June 01, 2022

5:50 p.m. to 9:45 a.m.

I made it!

15 hours and 55 minutes. That's my fastest time on this route so far. (Before, it was always 16.5 hours.) My feet are killing me, which is a sensation I haven't experienced since losing all that weight post-stroke. But I managed to do the route without any painkillers (will use them when I get back to Seoul), and while I haven't checked yet, I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up any blisters, which is nothing short of revolutionary for a 60K trek.

It probably helped that the nighttime weather was slightly cooler than it had been this past weekend. When night turned into dawn, I ended up seeing the same three dog-walkers I'd seen on Saturday. One guy was letting his husky puppy (a puppy that was a husky, not a hefty puppy) run around without a leash, and the dog ran back to me to give me some more sniffage. I didn't mind. While the guy should have kept his dog on a leash, the dog itself was cute and reasonably well behaved. 

It was fun to just walk without shutterbugging every ten steps. It felt liberating. Relaxing. No pressure. I did snap one photo, though, which I offer to you now:

imagine dragons

I can't remember whether I ever took a picture of those dragons before. I may have. There were plenty of other opportunities to take interesting pictures, like the water-logged rice paddies, etc. Maybe next time. 

Right now, I'm hanging around Yangpyeong, waiting for the lunch hour to roll around so I can chow down on some Chinese food. If my feet end up looking beaten up, I'll be sure to upload some pretty pics of them. 

More later. 

EPILOGUE: I'm sitting about 500 meters beyond the Chinese restaurant where I just had lunch. The restaurant was already 800 meters farther east from Yangpyeong Station, so I'm currently 1.3 km farther along. Going back to the station means adding 2.6 km to today's route, which means my total distance walked goes from 58K to 60.6K. Take that! Soon, I'll be heading back to Seoul.




4 comments:

Charles said...

Congrats. I think anyone's feet would be complaining after 60K.

John Mac said...

Well done! You must have really been draggin' by the time you took that photo. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Kevin Kim said...

John,

Puns aside, I took that photo the following morning, so yeah, I was pretty tired.

Kevin Kim said...

Charles,

This was my first 60K after my stroke. Overall, the walk went well, but I'm feeling my age now.