Wednesday, January 25, 2023

creepy AI

Is ChatGPT turning into a woke leftie? Based on experiments done in my office and experiments I've seen online, the answer can only be a big yes. The programmers of ChatGPT are doing what they can to load the bot up with left-wing bias. Watch:

At the office today, my boss also tried the fiction experiments described in the above video: write a fictional story about Donald Trump winning the 2020 election, and write a story about Hillary Clinton winning the 2016 election. The Trump story was wholly negative (death! destruction! overturning the Constitution!), and the Hillary story was wholly positive (economic health! working well with other nations!). The bias was thick enough to shovel. The boss copied and saved the stories, then ran the stories through ChatGPT, asking the bot to underline all instances of negative language in both narratives. Almost all of the Trump story got underlined, then the bot sweetly batted its lashes and said the Hillary story contained no negative language whatsoever. Too bad the bot isn't conscious; by rights, it should have blushed at the discovery of this much bias. Then again, if it's turned into a leftie, it can be conscious without having a conscience.

My bud Justin Yoshida found another AI that reads your face and automatically aligns your eyes (virtually speaking: your actual eyes remain untouched, so this isn't "A Clockwork Orange") to make it seem as if you're always maintaining eye contact while you're in the middle of a Skype call or a Zoom meeting:

Crazy stuff. Very soon, it will be a matter of What is real?



6 comments:

eastnortheast said...

John,

Seeing that ChatGPT (and its competitors (Google, etc) will have to monetize their service at some point in the near future, would you be willing to pay for it? If so, how much on a monthly basis? I think it is a lot of fun to play around with, but not enough to pay for it. On their Discord channel, they asked people what would be a fair monthly price. I am guessing it will come in somewhere around USD$20/month.

Brian

Kevin Kim said...

I hope John sees this and answers.

John Mac said...

That's some scary shit, but not at all surprising.

And to answer Brian's question, I wouldn't pay to use it. Hell, I wouldn't use it for free. The more I hear, the less I like it.

eastnortheast said...

Sorry. The question was for Kevin. Don't comment here much, more often on John's blog so muscle memory took over! LOL

Brian

Kevin Kim said...

Brian,

I continue to be less and less impressed with ChatGPT. Yes, it does do some things well, but at best, it's just another tool. So would I want to pay for ChatGPT? Probably not. I might be persuaded to if its capabilities increased, but I'm really starting to hate the subscriber model for everything. Remember cable TV in the 80s and 90s? We've come back to those days: a gazillion streaming services all ask for monthly subscriptions, and if I want to use a high-end publishing program like InDesign, I can only use it via subscription: I can't buy InDesign as a DVD or one-time download. InDesign is around $250 (US) per year. That doesn't seem worth it to me. I have several subscriptions already that are nickel-and-diming me to death. I can't add more.

eastnortheast said...

I hate the subscription model also. I have been able so far, to buy Microsoft Office as a standalone but I am pretty sure that option will disappear in the future.

Brian