Thursday, January 19, 2023

long weekend coming up

Lunar New Year approaches. It's a much bigger holiday, here, than the solar New Year's festivities with which we Westerners are familiar. It is, in fact, this Sunday, January 22, and the following Monday and Tuesday are both so-called "red days," i.e., national holidays, which means even my company (which has made me work on solar New Year's before) has Monday and Tuesday off. Year of the Rabbit this time around.

You'd think I'd be happy, but I'm more nervous than anything because we're currently working on two content-creation projects that both need to be done soon. One is material to be put into workbook form; the other is yet another PPT for the CEO. Fortunately, I've been asked to scale my PPTs back a bit because the CEO, who speaks English far more slowly than I do, can't get through the PowerPoint slides very fast. He tends to run overtime, anyway, so I need to rein myself in and create shorter presentations so as not to exacerbate the problem. Hey, that works for me: smaller PPTs = less of a burden.

I'm tempted to come into the office over vacation to stay ahead of these projects, but the boss gives me dirty looks every time I mention that. The CEO, meanwhile, is celebrating the lunar new year in Vietnam. He won't be back in Seoul until around Thursday next week. As I said, I don't have much time, and the volume of workbook material is huge. Oh, yeah: the workbook material also needs a set of lecture notes to go along with it, so tack on another four hours to however long it takes me to do the workbook itself. Yay.

To office... or not to office? That is the question.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

You'll know what to do when the time comes. For me, if I lacked any specific holiday plans, I'd just as well be working as I would sitting at home worrying about work.