Saturday, May 04, 2013

a comment about my mental state

Having just written that happy, Sperwer-related post, the reader might be surprised and a bit confused by the scheduled post that's coming next: a reflective, possibly mawkish meditation about Mom. Today's her birthday; she would have been 70. I wrote the post last night (it's 12:20PM on Saturday as I write this now) when all was quiet and I was in something of a "down" mood. I don't want you to get the idea, from the sudden contrast between the Sperwer and Mom posts, that I'm bipolar, capable of sudden and radical mood swings. No: the Mom post was written first, before I went to sleep last night. A good night's sleep and a sunny Saturday have put me in a somewhat better mood, so please read the Mom post with that context in mind. It's not that I regret writing what I did: I don't regret it at all, because the deep feelings that are reflected in that post are with me all the time, even in the midst of my happier moments. I just don't want you to think this blog is run by a crazy man, is all.


_

3 comments:

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah, yeah—lemme head off one possible reaction. "Bipolar" doesn't necessarily mean "crazy." I dunno, though... would you call radical mood swings sane and rational?

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"[W]ould you call radical mood swings sane and rational?"

Compared to what?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Charles said...

I still think you're crazy, dude. But lovably so.