Sunday, May 12, 2013

I'm going to try to kill myself now

Modern Koreans believe in a ridiculous phenomenon called "fan death" in English. The basic idea is that, if you sleep in an enclosed bedroom with a running electric fan, you will die. Theories as to why you will die vary. Some Koreans claim (as Charles once told me) that the fan blades "chop up the oxygen," thereby suffocating you. Others believe that electric fans somehow "suck out" the oxygen in a room.

So now that it's well after 3AM here in Seoul, and seeing as I'm dead tired, I'm going to perform a little experiment on myself and sleep with an electric fan running. I'll close the bedroom door and the bedroom window, and we'll see whether I wake up in the morning.

Personally, I can see how aiming a fan at one's own head might engender the sniffles. Sleeping in any sort of breeze can lead to nasal discomfort. But death? Bitch, please.

Good night, all. See you in the morning.


_

No comments: