Monday, May 13, 2013

off to see the Wizard

It's 1AM on Monday here in Seoul. Later today, around 10AM, I'll be visiting Hansung University, which is only two subway stops away from where I'm lodged. Having looked at the online Korean maps, I see that the uni isn't right next to the subway stop: I have to take the Number 02 shuttle bus about five minutes to arrive at the uni's front gate. From there, it's a matter of figuring out which building I need to lumber into.

Later in the day, I'll be training down to the satellite city of Ansan, there to visit Hanyang University's ERICA campus. Finding the exact building I need to visit was easy enough: it's called the "PEC Hall" in English, and the "Shilyong Yeongeo Gyoyuk-gwan" (실용 영어 교육관) in Korean. Shilyong means "practical," so this is the Practical English Education Hall. Perhaps "PEC" means "Practical English Center" or something. Anyway, the PEC shows up as its own building on Google Maps, which is a big plus. Normally, campus-based English-language education centers are housed inside multipurpose buildings with generic names like "Social Education Center" (as was the case at Sookmyung Women's University), making them harder to find. This makes things much easier.

So—big day tomorrow. I hope to catch some staff and some profs, make myself known, and extract some promises about the possibility of interviews either before I leave Korea or via Skype after I'm back in the States. Wish me luck. On Tuesday, I'll be doing the same thing, but this time with HUFS in Yongin.


_