Thursday, May 16, 2013

in Gyeongsan

I arrived for my 5PM interview super-early: it's 4PM as I type this, and I'm sitting in a coffee shop at Daegu Haany University's Science Information Building, where my interview will take place in an hour. The coffee shop has Wi-Fi... so I checked and saw a slew of emails, one of which was "bad" news: a rejection from Chonnam University in Yeosu. It was a very polite, professional rejection: I was one of seven candidates being considered early for employment, and according to my former interviewer, the choice among us seven was very difficult. My résumé was considered "impressive," for whatever that's worth.

I put "bad" in scare quotes because, as you know, I wasn't particularly keen to be hired by Chonnam. While on some level it hurts my ego to have been rejected by a low-priority school (a bit like being rejected by the ugly girl at the school dance), this is one rejection I'm sure to get over quickly. I'm smarting more from Hanyang's rejection... the more I think about it, the more I think that Hanyang's preference was for someone with a Master's degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

Another of my emails, however, was potentially good news: Tom's buddy Angelo told me that his school is indeed hiring. As I recall, that school also offers a sweet deal.

Right... less than 50 minutes to go.


_

2 comments:

John said...

Good luck...even though this post postdates your interview.

Kevin Kim said...

John,

Thanks.

My time/date stamps are set for Virginia time, which is actually 13 hours behind Korea, so no post-dating is possible.

(Or are you talking about your own comment when you say "this post"?)