Sunday, May 05, 2013

responding to another ad

I didn't think it would happen, but another job ad caught my eye over at Dave's ESL Cafe. This time, it's for a teaching post at the fairly prestigious (and fairly young) Hanyang University.* The job is in the uni's ERICA department (Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan), and is for about 15 hours/week of teaching, plus paid vacation (no vacation length specified). I'd be teaching a fairly standard spread of topics: conversation, composition, and possibly content-based instruction (CBI is the "in" thing these days).

If I'm not mistaken, the ERICA-at-Ansan campus is a straight shot on Line 4. I can take the Light Blue Line, which has a station just outside my apartment, all the way down south to the Ansan region. In fact, I believe there's a station named Hanyangdae-ap (Front of Hanyang U.) or something like that. Getting to the university would cost peanuts: a dollar or so down to Ansan, and a dollar or so back up to where I'm staying.

Part of Hanyang's job app requirement is the submission of a 15-minute lesson that I will have to teach as a demo, assuming I'm invited for an interview. The other hitch is the interview itself: Hanyang's application deadline is May 10, but the department's not starting to interview people until after May 20, a day after I leave Korea. I'm going to have to plead for a special exception. Will they ignore me?

The job sounds decent, overall—a lot like my old gig at Sookmyung (which had an 18-hour/week teaching load, increasing to almost 25 hours in the summertime). So I'm going for it. I'm going to draw up a lesson, probably on "if" conditional grammar, and send that in with an application packet.

The whole thing ought to be done by this evening, after which it's in the hands of the job-app gods, or whichever Catholic saint is in charge of employment in Korea.



*Hanyang is the old name for Seoul.


_

No comments: