Saturday, November 23, 2019

and now, I have a handicap

As is Murphically inevitable whenever I acquire new kitchen knives, I cut myself last night while I was slicing carrots to be boiled and eventually mixed in with the peas. The cut took off a tiny bit of flesh off the tip of my right thumb, which makes life massively inconvenient as I move into the final stages of food prep. I now have to do my food prep almost one-handed: I can still use my right hand, but the bleeding (which I think I finally stanched before going to bed around 4 a.m.) has necessitated that I wrap my finger in gauze and Leukotape and a Ziploc bag: I seem not to have any more of those nifty little finger condoms I had purchased a few years back. On top of that, I'm now wearing a rubber dishwashing glove on my right hand, which I suppose makes me a fat, low-rent Michael Jackson.

Anyway, the show must go on, but it now goes on with difficulty as the food-prep marathon draws to a close. Typing on this Mac-laptop keyboard is a bitch; I keep hitting the "k" key for no good reason, so I have to backspace and correct myself every two or three words. Thumbs are crucial for almost every activity, as it turns out.

Expect blood-soaked photos later today, right alongside the food pics.



No comments: