Sunday, November 10, 2019

coming soon

Watch the blog for photos of my own version of Scotch pie.* I was surprised to discover that I had a pie-sized lump of dough sitting in the freezer; I'd forgotten about it. I'll be using that dough to make my pie, which will be filled, per the Scottish imperative, with lamb mince. But instead of seasoning the meat with salt, pepper, and either mace or nutmeg, I'll be using my blend of Middle Eastern herbs and spices and fats (olive oil and butter), which ought to make for a much tastier experience. Sorry, Scotland.

I had tried to make hot chocolate at work on Friday, but I somehow managed to do the unthinkable: I burned the mixture (despite a very low flame and constant stirring) and ruined a very expensive amount of high-end dark chocolate, heavy cream, and Nutella.** So I'll be making an "I'm sorry" batch here at home to take to work for my colleagues tomorrow. One colleague, who has been saying no to everything I've made recently, claims he dislikes chocolate, so fuck him. More for the rest of us!



*According to Wikipedia, the Scots simply call this a "pie."

**I can already hear some of you saying, "Did you use a double boiler?" No, I didn't. Why? Because I've made hot chocolate this exact way before, and I'd never had a problem until now. But today, I'm doing the bain-marie. It's the only way to be sure.



No comments: