Sunday, November 03, 2019

terlit: repaired for now

I've battened down my toilet by screwing down the wingnuts that secure the toilet to the bathroom floor. I don't know whether I've screwed them down enough; for the moment, I'm just going to try my best not to rock the toilet bowl when I'm on it. This is admittedly hard for a heavy guy to do, but I look at it as an exercise in proper posture and balance while upon the throne. I have also applied a silicone sealant around the toilet's bottom edge, clumsily filling in the front edge with a bunch of sealant to close up the huge gap that had been left by the lazy repairman who had worked on my toilet a month ago. In about six hours, the sealant will supposedly be dry enough for me to be able to do all the normal, bathroomy things a person does while in that location, e.g., splash water all over the place while showering. It'll be nice not to have to worry about inundating the downstairs neighbors.

I'm no artist when it comes to silicone sealant; the job I did looks pretty rough and unprofessional—very lumpy and awkward. But all the holes and cracks are now sealed, so that's something. My bottle of sealant is still about 95% unused, and according to the printed instructions, it won't last more than three months, so I've taped a note to it saying that I need to throw the bottle out after January 31 of next year. (Hard to believe the new year is right around the corner. Where did 2019 go, eh?)

We'll see, over the coming days and weeks, whether the job I did today proves to be a solid one. Fingers and tentacles are crossed.



No comments: