Friday, December 03, 2021

external HD fail

My coworker tried to crack my external hard drive, but in the end, he was unable to do anything about it, so the data from my 2009-era iMac remains locked away. He suggested that I go back to the computer guy who converted the HD into an external drive to ask whether he could just extract the data. I might do that, but at this point, I've been without that drive's data for so long that I no longer feel any sense of urgency about it. There are some picture files I'd like to recover, plus a video of Mom during her cancer period, but little else of any worth. If I obtained that data now, it'd mostly be to satisfy my curiosity—an egocentric archeological expedition to see what late-Aughts and early 2010s Kevin was like.

Ah, well.



2 comments:

Aaron said...

You might also try Wondershare's Recoverit program. I've used it a time or two for recovering files and (provided you haven't written anything else on the drive or otherwise tried to reformat it) had pretty decent results.

Kevin Kim said...

Good to hear from you, Aaron! Nice to know you're still around. Thanks for the suggestion.

My problem is that I can't even open the hard drive to access any of the data. An "unreadable" message pops up the moment I plug the drive in. If there's some way to get past that, then I might be able to recover files. Anyway, I'll look into Recoverit and see what it offers. Maybe it can help.